SOUTH AMERICAN JAMBALAYA
(Recipe from my Tastic Rice packet)
A delicious and spicy dish full of South American flavour.
- 15 ml (1 tbs) Oil
- 3-4 Rashers Streaky Bacon, chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 500 ml (2 cups) Uncooked TasticRice
- 1 litre (4 cups) Chicken Stock
- 3 ml (1/2 t) Salt
- 3 ml (1/2 t) Black Pepper
- 3 ml (1/2 t) Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- 1x 410 g can tomatoes, chopped
- 100 g Ham, chopped
- 200g Cooked Chicken, chopped
- 15 ml Parsley, chopped
- 1. Heat oil and fry bacon until crisp. Place bacon on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- 2. Fry the onion until soft, but not brown. Add celery and Tastic Rice, stirring constantly.
- Fry for 1 minute.
- 3. Pour in stock, add the salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 4. Add green pepper and tomatoes and simmer for 5 -10 minutes.
- 5. Stir in ham, cooked bacon and chicken and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6. Spoon the delicious Jambalaya into a warmed serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
- 1. For a special occasion, add 200 grams cleaned, cooked prawns or shrimps to the Jambalaya.
- 2. Mushrooms and red pepper can also be added to the ingredients.
- 3. Use cooked chicken pieces in place of chopped chicken.
To navigate to the Tastic Test Kitchen - CLICK HERE