Saturday, November 22, 2008

Granny Rosa's BANANA BREADS


Granny Rosa's Banana breads

(which is CHRISTINE'S BANANA BREAD with slight modifications)

I am not a good cook. I am a good recipe collector. When I post a recipe that I cooked myself, then you can write it down as flop proof, because if it can flop – I will flop it.

The recipe was modified a bit because I had very big bananas and extra large eggs.

I also wanted to see how the recipe bakes in a ring-from tin.

  • 150-ml/100 gr. Butter
  • 300 ml Sugar
  • 3 Eggs (extra large)
  • 1 Tablespoon (20 ml) olive oil
  • 900 ml Flour
  • 20 ml Baking Powder
  • 2 ml Bicarbonate soda
  • 2 ml Salt
  • 2 cups (500 ml) Mashed Banana (6 large Bananas)
  • 10 ml Vanilla Essence

METHOD

  • Preheat oven to 200 (Turn it down to 180 C immediately prior to putting the cakes into the oven. This allows for loss of heat while the oven is being loaded.)
  • Prepare two medium sized baking pans
  • Cream butter & sugar & Beat in the eggs one at a time. Until it looks like cream. (I used an electric beater - (easy peasy) - but hubby will do if he is around.)
  • Stir in the vanilla and mashed banana until just mixed.
  • Transfer it to a large enough bowl if necessary and sift in the dry ingredients, (a little bit at a time, stirring until it is smooth every time.)
Do not over do the stirring at this time. The air trapped by the creaming and sifting process needs to be trapped in the dough mixture. It is the air that makes it rise.

Personally, I like my crust to have a crack on top. It looks more artistic and it looks as if it is bursting of flavor. A cracked top will not win any prizes at the show, however.

  • Pour the mixture into the pans and place them onto the middle oven-shelf.
  • Bake for 1 hour in a medium oven @ 180 C.
  • Turn out of the tin onto a wire rack and allow to cool.

The bread is at its best after third day.

( I use a plastic (office tray) instead of a wire rack. It works fantastic, and it does not rust.

No comments: